Some words about gear. Key words are lightweight, minimal and digital. And more specifically:
- Nishiki Bushwacker XC mountain bike modded to be a more paved road friendly. Continental tyres, cleat pedals, full-length mudguards, a helmet (my first one ever!), head and rear lights and a cheapo bike computer
- A bicycle tool set, a can of chain oil, a pump, a spare inner tube and a saddle tool bag, which broke even before starting the journey. Plus assorted stuff like superglue, duct tape etc.
- Chrome Kursk Pro cleat shoes and a pair of hiking sandals.
- Deuter Speedlight 30L backpack. Granted all my stuff does not fit there with e.g. a clothes bag attached to the top of the backpack. Plus a shoulder bag for valuable stuff and immediate food
- An ethanol burner, half a liter of fuel, a MSR titanium 0,75l pot, an Orikaso plastic bowl, a titanium fork and a spoon
- Leatherman Skeletool and a cheap Chinese folding knife
- A Ticket To The Moon double hammock, a 3x3m tarp (never tested before!), an old sleeping bag (comfy temperature +12), a silk inner bag. Thermal clothes and a space blanket in case it gets chilly.
- My trusty HaglÃ¶fs Oz outer jacket and some crappy cycling rain pants, which never managed to stop the rain. No shoes rain protection, I will improvise with plastic bags.
- Padded cycling underwear. One pair of woollen socks. A bunch of regular socks and underwear. Sarong as a multifunctional towel.
- All things hygiene.
- Moleskine notebook for the hipster cred.
- Two t-shirts, one shirt, a long-sleeved shirt, a fleece, proper trousers for special occassions, fisherman pants, soft shell shirts (for cycling), a scarf and a pair of leather gloves.
- IPad 2, Nexus One (calling is broken on this one, good for Google Maps and music) and even older Ericsson phone (for emergency calling).
- Galileo iOS app for offline cycling maps. Maps are courtesy of OpenCycleMaps. Google Maps for support. No dead trees maps.
- Sony NEX-C3 camera with a pancake lens. A camera connection kit for unloading pictures to iPad. Two 4gb memory cards.
- The camera connection kit doubles as a device for loading/unloading contraband from/to iPad. A bunch of movies on an USB stick and all my music on an external hard drive.
- Sennheiser HD212 pro headphones. Very old and battered, a cord has been replaced several times, but they still work.
- A pair of X-Mini Max portable speakers.
- 1kg of buckwheat, plus some oatmeal.
One thought on “Gear”
of all possible things why on earth buckwheat?